Monday, October 19, 2015

"Operation Restoration" by guest blogger Donna Carter

"Donna With Grandpa Hanna on her wedding day."
Operation Restoration
My Grandfather was a country physician. He was a huge man, gruff and intimidating on the outside but as soft as caramel on the inside. He was the best grandpa a little girl could have and I remember sitting on his lap and listening to his many stories.
He began practicing during the flu epidemic that followed the Great War and tended people though the Great Depression for payment in chickens and cabbages or whatever could be spared. After delivering hundreds of babies at home, Grandpa Hanna opened his own maternity hospital. He was its cook, ambulance driver, and attending physician. I assume it was at this juncture that he built his custom wooden operating table. It was a tall table, with drawers and a cupboard beneath, and a pull out section to accommodate the patient’s feet and another on the side for surgical instruments.
Grandpa didn’t retire until he was over eighty and he lived ten years after that. When he finally died, a nurse attending him, who had been his student at Regina’s nursing school decades earlier declared, “The mighty oak has fallen.”
The one thing I wanted to remember him by was that operating table. We refinished it and used it, believe it or not, as a kitchen island in our first home in Edmonton. It added a lot of charm to our spanking new house and was always a conversation piece. But a few years later when we needed to sell the house and move to Calgary, we had to leave it behind. The whole house sale was dependent on the inclusion of the “kitchen island” as the buyers so coldly put it. Parting with it broke my heart. So I placed a note inside the cupboard of the table that said something like this: This piece of furniture has great sentimental value to me. If you ever decide to get rid of it, please let me know so that I have the opportunity to claim it.
We moved, years passed, and I concluded I would never see the beloved antique again. But then I got a letter from the current owner of the table. It was no longer wanted. At that point, I had neither money nor space for the table—not even in the kitchen. But I desperately wanted it back in the family where it belonged. My sister, Debbie, lover of all things old and sentimental, conscripted my dad to rent a utility trailer and drive with her to Edmonton to redeem the table. She brought it back to her home and restored it.
It lived first in her office and then her sewing room for over two decades. After my precious sister joined her Savior in heaven, her husband decided to sell the home he shared with her. In the process, he gave the operating table back to me. We moved it into our current, more spacious home recently. Now it is restored and redeemed. It looks a lot like it did when Grandpa used it to heal people. And once again, it belongs to me.
The story is too like the Gospel of Jesus not to draw comparisons. I was the rightful owner of the operating table, but the treasure was lost to me. Then even though it should never have been removed from my possession, someone who loved me, with resources I did not have, bought it back. Redemption. She then returned it to its original condition. Restoration.
Jesus created you and me. He is our rightful owner. Yet our own choice tore us from him and he mourned. But at great expense, he bought us back, even though by rights we belonged to him the whole time. He restored us to an untainted state with his blood so that we could enter relationship with him. If we know Jesus, we have been redeemed. We are being restored. There is no greater story than this!

Excerpted from Donna Carter’s book:

 Kick the Boring Out of Your Life, (Harvest House 2015)

No comments: